AdoPt a PLATYPUS
Please help protect our Hobart Rivulet Platypus by monitoring their activity.
One of the most important things you can do to conserve and protect our Hobart Rivulet Platypus is help monitor their activity.
While there are several wildlife spotting apps we recommend using the Australian Platypus Conservancy’s Monitoring Network (APMN). We have created monitoring sites along the Hobart Rivulet ready for you to adopt!
Monitoring platypus is easy. Here’s how you get started:
- Create a free account at https://platypusnetwork.org.au
- Login and go to Site Selection in the menu on the left side.
- In Site Selection, use the map tools to zoom in on Hobart
- Zoom in enough so you can see teardrops along the length of the Hobart Rivulet. Each teardrop represents a monitoring site.
- Click on the monitoring site you would like to adopt. A popup appears displaying basic site info. Click ‘Enter site
- Click ‘Select Site for Monitoring’
Congratulations! You have adopted a platypus monitoring site.
NOTE: You are able to create your own monitoring site, and you are able to make a site private. If for example your property backs onto the rivulet, your own private monitoring site is a terrific idea!
Visit your monitoring site often. Stop for 5-10 minutes. Did you see a platypus or not? Remember not seeing a platypus is just as important to record as seeing one. Record your observation either via your account on the APMN web site or by using the ‘Platypus Monitoring Network’ phone app.
TIP: Start with one monitoring site. Choose a site that fits in with your lifestyle. Don’t get disheartened if it takes numerous visits to see a platypus!